Thursday, December 16, 2010

I Saw A Ship A-sailing - A Poem for Young Kids

It's not really a nursery rhyme. My seven year old son learnt 'I Saw A Ship A-Sailing' just now, in his second standard. It goes like this:

I saw a ship a-sailing, a-sailing in the sea
And it was deeply laden with pretty things for me

There were comfits in the cabin
And apples in the hold
The sails were made of satin
And masts were made of gold.

The four and twenty sailors
That stood above the decks
Were four and twenty white mice
With chains about their necks

The captain was a duck
With a packet on his back
And when the ship began to move
The captain said, "quack quack."

The version of the poem that his school text-book has is a little different from the version that I found on the net. It's author is anonymous and it's part of the Mother Goose rhymes.

Mother Goose? Who was that? Let's keep it for another day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoyed the post? Why not let me know.
Spotted scope for improvement? Please let me know.